What is round and blue and energy boosting too? If you guessed blueberries then you are a WINNER! The prize? For starters, eating a handful of blueberries will definitely give your health and wellness a helping hand. But what really gives blueberries a spot at the top of your grocery list is that they have the ability to keep diseases at bay… and far far away!
Let’s take a closer look why you need to stock up on blueberries STAT.
The Story of Blueberries
Blueberries have a long history that dates back to pre-colonial times and is actually one of the few fruits that are native to North America.
Even before colonists arrived from Europe, Native Americans had been gathering and using blueberries for centuries in many creative ways:
- Eaten fresh
- Meat rub
- Juiced to make cough syrup
- Dried (preserved for winter to use in stews and soups)
- Used to dye baskets and clothes
- Made into pudding with cornmeal
In the early 20th century, blueberries were domesticated and cultivated. Over 90 percent of the world’s blueberry supply grows in the USA.
1. Low in calories, yet packed with nutrients and high in manganese.
- Manganese aids in the formations of bones, connective tissues, sex hormones, and blood-clotting factors.
- Manganese also plays a role in carbohydrate and fat metabolism, blood sugar regulation, and calcium absorption.
- Blueberries are chock full of immune boosting vitamin C
- They are a rich source of vitamin K, which is an important factor in bone health.
2. Excellent Antioxidant Power
- Protects your body from free radicals and inflammation.
- High levels of phytochemicals, which are naturally occurring nutrients that protects your cells from damage.
- Blueberries are full of anti aging nutrients that protect against memory problems and cognitive decline.
- Help prevent the effects of aging, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, and arthritis.
- Helps your body recover faster from strain and injuries.
3. Boosts Your Energy Levels
- Blueberries are loaded with fiber, which makes you feel fuller longer.
- The combination of insoluble and soluble fiber in blueberries helps slow down the rate of digestion, which causes a steadier and more stable release of sugar into your bloodstream.
- Provides you with a longer lasting energy boost.
The Health Benefits of Blueberries – Why A Handful Of Blueberries A Day Is So Good For You
Whether fresh, frozen, dried, or canned, these juicy berries are certainly something that you want in your kitchen! Just check out these incredible health benefits of blueberries:
Yes, yes, and MORE yes! Those are some wonderful health and wellness benefits.
How To Eat MORE Blueberries
Blueberries are definitely delicious on their own. But, if you are looking for some fresh ideas as to how to incorporate more blueberries into your diet, then try one of the following ideas:
- Homemade Blueberry Jam: Make your own sweet spread by cooking 4 cups of blueberries in a saucepan over medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir continuously until it thickens.
- Add A Burst of Blue To Your Smoothie: Rev up the health factor of your next smoothie by throwing in a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Give Your Breakfast a Boost: Fresh berries make a great topping for oatmeal or add some dried blueberries to your granola for a sweet and chewy factor.
From it’s health enhancing properties to its tantalizing taste, there is nothing to feel “blue” about when it comes to blueberries!